The guide to buying your home:
- Figure out what you want to buy – size, location, style etc.
- Look into the financials – we recommend seeking some advice from a mortgage advisor.
- Get some quotes from solicitors and factor these costs in. You can do this when you have made an offer on a property also and we can hunt around to get you the best fee possible.
- Find your home. We will assist you by matching all properties to your criteria and arrange viewings for you.
- When you’re ready make an offer and negotiate with the vendor via the agent.
- Give your solicitors the go ahead.
- Try not to get too stressed throughout the legal process, it can take time but we are here to make sure the process goes as smoothly as possible.
- Exchange contracts and book your removals – it’s time to move!
You have to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) if you buy a property in the UK over a certain price. This is charged on all purchases of houses, flats and other land and buildings.
- nothing on the first £125,000 of the property price
- 2% on the next £125,000
- 5% on the next £675,000
- 10% on the next £575,000
- 12% on the rest (above £1.5 million)
Example: If you buy a property for £275,000, you’ll pay £3,750 of SDLT. This is made up of:
- nothing on the first £125,000
- £2,500 on the next £125,000
- £1,250 on the remaining £25,000